Monday, August 20, 2007

Beasts of No Nation


I just read Uzodinma Iweala's "BEASTS OF NO NATION". Yes, I know I am late to the discourse of it but like people always say, "Better late than never". It was a heart wrenching read. I hurt all over as I took a journey with the main character, a little boy soldier through his experiences trying to survive during the war after having lost his childhood and being forcefulloy thrust into a world of chaos, abuse and violence.

His words were so simple and sincere that it was like I felt each shiver of fear, each hunger pang and his desperation. I wish I could write like that. It was a great book and I am recommending you read it.

And if you can, do keep in mind that you have to be careful what actions you take and be prepared to be accountable for them. I am sure that none of the generals who plunge countries into wars take into account the effects on the lives of those individuals who have absolutely no understanding of what they are supposed to be fighting for.

I always pray that every thought, word and action that I make is to God's glory and that of which is his. I always pray that I do not consciously or unconsciously cause another human being pain because if I do set out to victimise someone else, I have degenerated from the human consciousness of soul to that of an animal.
http://saheeda.blogspot.com/
http://giamarrospeaks.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

Fo said...

wow am first here again!!well wld be right back...

Fo said...

am second as well...praise me...well i never heard of the book but guess i might go look for it!
ps-three blogs i must say takes alot....gr8!!!

princesa said...

Hsvnt read the book too.
Maybe i will get it or maybe not.

Anonymous said...

funny you're writing bout this, kulu jus put up a post strongly.. ahem.. stating her uh, lack of excitement over the very same book..
since i however havent read it i will keep mum.......

laspapi said...

I've heard a lot about the book. The Generals consider the pain inflicted on civilians as collateral damage, unfortunately.

Unknown said...

Haven't heard about the book.I must say that I love your blog.

Anonymous said...

Extra extra read all about it! Drama dey kokoletta blog oh! Big fight between Baroque and Bobby over her Uncle Will post! Make i go chop peppersoup for dia! Bye bye oh!

myabubakar said...

havent come across the book yet.

myabubakar said...

never heard of that book. could be interesting ...looking for it now. i am sixth to come here and want a prize

diary of a G said...

I was here
here have you been?

Anonymous said...

At least one blogger wasn't impressed.

http://hyenasbelly.blogspot.com/2007/08/sozaboy-novel-in-rotten-english.html

Anonymous said...

contingent bringing pads disjunctive stores polyphony quotient convenience unceasingly datas teresadeca
lolikneri havaqatsu