Saturday, April 28, 2007







So, i woke up way too early today to attend a luncheon organised and sponsore by LINKS. An women's only organisation. Imagine AKA meets church group. I mean white tights and ankle length skirts, huge corsages and a choice of either coiffed or wind blown hair.

As I was saying...because myself and the two girls representing the international student body at the university did not have cars we had to hitch a ride with one of then organisation's members who had to be there about two hours before the event itself had to begin.

We arrive and the three of us are nearly paralysed to realise that the average age in the room is between 55 and 60. And also, they had not yet set up so we found ourselves having to help out. Hoisting foldable chairs in four inch hills is not an experience I want to repeat.
Plus we stood out something bad...the three of us: One trinidadian in a halter dress and fuck-me pumps, the other in a i-go-to-church-but-only-to-see-if-I-can-jump-the-pastor's-bones kinda dress and finally moi in a green and black ensemble complete with gele reminiscent of a candidate for Ovation's middle pages.

then the maintenance guys were trying to hit on all three of us at the same time; like I am just hot to jump in bed with someone whose stomach puts an eight month pregancy to shame. YummieAnyways, two hours and fifty times introducing myself (talking slowly and saying my name, school, major and country) later the event starts.

Students from two other colleges in the district have arrived and so we have brought down the age average to about 45. Was no mean fit too. If we had been short even as little as two people, we would not have made it.

The highlight of the event was not the ear drum splitting Nigerian opera singer in her mismatched blue lace (with silver detail) and bright orange Aso Oke...No, it was the talk given by the guest speaker, Faida Mitifu; Ambassador The Democratic Republic of Congo.


She spoke so eloquently on her country, its past and what it aspired for the future. What it had gone through under a 20 year long dictatorship and the ensuing wars it had to suffer to free itself; what it meant that 86% of eligible voters participated in the past election to intstall the current president after factions had been torn apart.


















I was even more shamed when she talked about what women in the Congo had endured as victims of the war: suffering physical and horrendous sexual abuse at the hands of various militia and I had only been minutes before thinking about where I was going to get the money to get another pair of shoes. Anyways, the event was quite nice and enlightening.

Trust Americans and their fear of fire, salt and pepper. the meat had pink in it. I looked at it and gasped out loud. The chef pleased at my "obvious" delight at his masterpiece smiles and tells me "It is medium rare lamb chops.


I smiled and slowly moved forward towards the sweet rolls. If man was supposed to eat raw animals, we would still be living next door to brother lion and sister leopard and fire would be an aspiration.

12 comments:

Aworan said...

Brill blog!! Lol @ the pink meat!!

akin Aworan

http://aworan.wordpress.com

Ms. Catwalq said...

thank you thank you thank you
love yours too

Awoof said...

What an interesting day you had... Were the talks mainly themed on African politics? Cos I wish we had more of those here.

Re : Your question. I am into ANY business that would help promote the average African living in Africa nd my blog is mostly about how I'm working my way up here.

Cheers and have a great one.
(Can I add you on to my Blog roll?)

www.awoof.wordpress.com

Ms. Catwalq said...

No, the day was about the organisation. Think a women's only rotaract or zonta club. yeah something like that
and the guest speaker was the ambassador

Azuka said...

Raw shrimp, raw meat, raw fish -- urghhhh. When I was little, I read with fascination about eskimoes eating raw blubber dipped in hot sauce. I thought I'd try it out someday but seeing things in the real was a turn-off.

Thanks for the visit!

Brilliantly Me said...

LMAO!! Trust you...I can totally see how you would have reacted when you saw the meat...you this bush girl.

Ms. Catwalq said...

rayo it is not your fault. unlike you, I am not an aspiring caucasian

Nita said...

Hi Baraje, thought I would check your blog out and I like it!
I have a special fondness for Nigeria. I lived there as a kid coz my dad who was in the army went there to Nigerian Defence Academy to train the Nigerian officrs. Guess who was his boss? Brig Ejoor and his daughter Pauline was my friend. I have her photo in my old album. Brig. Ejoor was very fond of my dad and gave him an unscheduled promotion. He wanted us to extend our tenure but war in India (1971) meant that we had to come back.
Then later there was this coup in Nigeria and we heard all kinds of things, but we weren't there then.
Recently we spend a few years in Tanzania and my daughter's best friend was a Nigerian who is in the US now.They are still in touch.
My husband grew up in Uganda but they had to leave becoz of the Idi Amin thing.
So you see we have a long relationship with Africa. Nice to meet you.

Ms. Catwalq said...

@nita: thanks for stopping by my blog

racquelle-cutie said...

yeah its totally sad what happened to women in congo ,the other day i watched a show on them and one of the women said that one of the rebels pulled her out of her house,took his shorts off and threw it into the bush the asked her to kiss his dick and when she refused he hit her on the back with the blade of a matchete

BOBBY said...

LINKS...AKA meets church group...

LMAO!!!

My sorors do you hear this??? (LMAO)

Anyways, i hope you enjoyed your event.

kokolette said...

lmao @ "aspiring caucasian"!