Sunday, June 22, 2008

I just finished....

I just finished THE BLOOD OF FLOWERS, a sweeping tale set in seventeenth century Iran detailing the life of a young woman with a talent and love for carpet making and the ill fortune of loosing her father and thus the source of dowry to provide her with a marriage.

This is the kind of book that makes me question if indeed, I do possess the talent and skill to make it as a successful writer. The words flowed like melted butter and transported me easily to the very time and place of the narrator's tale. It subtlely blends fiction and myth to provide insight as to what life would have been like and might still be like for a young woman's whose entire existence is dependent upon the protection that alliance with a man can provide; either as a daughter or as a wife.


The book written by Iranian born and American raised Anita Amirrezvani has been shortlisted for the 2008 Orange Prize for Fiction.

4 comments:

t said...

hey, you're already writing. Just keep writing. (I'll take my own advice.)
This has been called the "derriere in the chair" method of becoming a writer by somebody famous I forget.

t said...

Re: Mubarak
As you know, we located him, but we didn't get far because he wasn't getting back in touch with any urgency. Maybe some other time...

Anonymous said...

what is called a 'sweeping' tale?
it sounds really good.. i'll look for it.

Anonymous said...

Read this earlier this year and LOVED every second of it. Unfortunately, I couldn't read it all the way through due to classes, exams, ASA stuff, etc, but each hour or two that I did was entirely captivating! I wish Anita would write a second part to tell what happens after the marriage & broken friendship.

~*uNcOvErLuv*~