Friday, January 25, 2008

27 Dresses


Yes people, I did see a wide release comedy. JUNO's second show for the night would have meant that I would need to walk home from the metro at two in the morning which was not happening and PERSEPOLIS was sold out. So, I walked six blocks in the cold...yeah, I do dumb stuff like that sometimes and went to see the only film, in my opinion that was worthy of my time.


27 DRESSES stars Katherine Heigl (Grey's Anatomy, Knocked Up), Ed Burns (The Groomsmen, 15 Minutes, Sabing Private Ryan, One Missed Call) and James Marsden (X-Men, Enchanted, Hairspray) with Heigl as Jane, a young woman who has been a bridesmaid 27 times, Burns as her boss with whom she is in love and Marsden as Doyle a columnist for the New York Journal whose focus is the wedding circuit where he bumps into Jane and becomes intrigued by her character and this role she has played for so long; the perfect bridesmaid.


I will apologise to myself for having subjected myself to something that would have probably carried more weight for me if I had taken my time to watch it free on Lifetime TV. It is definitely a chick flick, if you are such a chick who wears pink, and secretly plans to run her future household like something out of the repressive fifties where women dressed pretty and frilly and read Barbara Cartland. The reason I did not sleep off in the movie was that the money I spent on the ticket was hard to come by and thus, I was going to make sure I missed nothing.


However, I am in love with James Marsden. That is why I was so happy to see Jean Grey die in X-Men II. Thus I rested all my hopes on the moments when he was on screen. Burns was the typical Burns: you know he can act. He has done it before but is not necessarily shining in this flick, maybe because he did not have that many lines....


There were some amusing parts to the film. Heigl is always lovely to regard. The lady who played her sister however, kept me wondering why her head moved so much in the film. With every sentence, I thought she was trying to draw squibbles in the air with her neck. Also, some of the conversations were not as natural as they could have been.



Still, you might want to see it. It will be a neutral selection if no consensus can be reached when you and your girlfriends get to the cinema and your original choice is sold out or not showing. Ladies, please don't force your boyfriends to go see it. You might not like what they will force you to go see when it is their turn.

27 Dresses was okay.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol!
ok so i had to laugh when i saw the last line - 'Ladies, please don't force your boyfriends to go see it. You might not like what they will force you to go see when it is their turn.', because that is exactly what i intend to do! especially sinc i already paid in advance with movies such as Alien vs Predator requiem and 30 days of night.
i'm sure it's worth a few chuckles or something tho, and yes, i adore james marsden.

Mustafa Şenalp said...

very nice a blog :)

Brilliantly Me said...

Just ok? Hmm...I just might wait for it to come out on HBO.

You should see Cloverfield

Anonymous said...

thank you girl...now i wont waste my time to watch that movie...and seriously i didnt think that other one "knocked up" was that good..........James Marsden is eye candy tho!

Uzo said...

Looking forward to see it ...Chick flick all the way./....I didnt read this post or the comments cos i dont want any spoilers

Anonymous said...

i totally hate chic flicks!!!i love movies that can stimulate my mind!

Unknown said...

BABEZ! how are you??

Eyin'ju Oluwa said...

...dont like d heigl chic much, so nope!