Monday, January 5, 2009

Ghajini

picture from here

Ghajini, starring Aamir Khan, is about a man who suffers from anterograde amnesia (short term memory loss) after a violent attack which resulted in the death of his beloved fiancee. He then sets out on a violent quest for revenge on those responsible; a group headed by the evil Ghajini. The trouble is that, he can only remember as far back as the last 15 mins. Armed with polaroids, a pen and camera, he forges ahead with the result being three hours of blood and gore woven artfully into a love story. The movie also stars new comer Asin Thottumkal as the leading female and main love interest with amazing supporting roles by Jiah Khan, Riyaz Khan, Tinnu Annand and Pradeep Rawat as the title character, Ghajini
Should you see it: Absolutely. The story line is well told. The acting is amazing. You will have to sit through six songs but with a soundtrack from A R Rahman, the music is delightful.
However: There is alot of violence and the fact that it is rated PG 13 in the United States should not fool you. It is not suitable for children or anyone under the age of 16. It is also all of the traditional three hours of a typical Bollywood production. It is also a remake of a version done in Tamil that so many critics are saying is much better but as I have neither seen that nor the American movie, Momento, that it supposedly mirrored after, I have to say that I very much loved this one. I did not mind the length because there was not a dull moment through out even though my thirty six year old aunt and I periodically grabbed for each other during the violent scenes.
I could also have done away with some of the wardrobe choices for Aamir but since I love him to bits, I endure and invite you to go see it
Grade: A-

4 comments:

Allied said...

i Concur

Crnk Mnyx said...

sounds like fun. I haven't seen Memento either, but I recognized the plot by the 2nd sentence.

Anyway, it was an underground hit and later Christopher Nolan got bigger gigs like The Prestige and The Dark Knight.

propecia online said...

Hello friend amazing and very interesting blog about Ghajini

jcowan said...

Are you a movie production company? I have a script you might like called "Janie Loves Bollywood". Go to www.moviebytes.com and type in my name "Justine Cowan". The logline is "It's a Wonderful Life" meets "Bollywood". Thanks! Hope you enjoy it!